Monday, March 4, 2013

The Orange Triple curse?

Each year I host a 400/600k brevet called the Orange Triple Loop. Because I host it I ride the staff ride one or two weeks before. Last year I had my worst bike accident in ten years just three weeks before the ride and took most of the skin off my knee. This made riding the 600k impossible so I rode the 400k version which was merely agony.

The staff ride this year is scheduled in three weeks. Yesterday I rode my 200k Santa Ana permanent and got stuck behind a group of slower riders. While I was waiting for an opportunity to pass them, the rider in front of me touched wheels with the rider in front of her and went down. I barely managed to stop before riding over her.

I'm starting to think the ride is cursed in some way. It seems that three weeks before the staff ride is a dangerous time to be me or around me.

Other than that the ride went well with a moderate headwind all the way to the beach and a moderate tailwind all the way back. I had animal fries at the In-n-Out despite the fact that they weren't supposed to be open for another 15 minutes. Note to self: don't start the 200k before 8:30 or you'll be at the first control before they open.

I had the usual crappy sandwich at the Beach Market in Newport Beach. They are remodelling and expanding the deli section. That'll be nice. Hopefully I'll be able to have their awesome deli sandwiches soon.

The return was nice with the tailwind and I ate at the Lucky Greek - soda and fries to go. As I got near the end of the ride I realized I might be able to manage a sub 9 hour ride which would be one of my best times. I pushed a little harder and finished in 8:51 which is a personal best for that route. I didn't even need lights.

I read this on the BBC website yesterday. Apparently in Scotland's second largest distillery some workers were supposed to drain some cleaning water out of a tank. They drained the wrong tank and released 600 gallons of whiskey into the drains. It ended up at the local water treatment plant. The management at the water treatment plant assured local residents that none of the whiskey had entered the drinking water. I very much doubt the local residents would have minded very much if it had.

No comments:

Post a Comment