Saturday, March 16, 2013

Running

I've started running once a week to try to prepare for the Surf City half marathon next year. I've never done much running before so it's been quite an experience. Last week I ran my first 5k and it went pretty well - I ran the whole thing in a time of 34m18. Now I've increased my milage I find I need equipment - a sports watch and a runner's bottle. No matter what you do there's always someone willing to sell you something to do it better or faster. God bless America!

I rode my Lucky Greek populaire twice this week, posting sub four hour times both times. I love my Schmidt Son hub generator and Lumotec light but Peter White has an add in this quarter's American Randonneur magazine for a Luxos U light. I checked out the specs - it outputs 70 lux in a wide beam, has a backup battery, and a USB port for charging a cell phone or GPS system. I love the idea of the wide beam which makes turning tight corners so much safer.

Unfortunately my Garmin Edge will not operate while charging but I'm planning on buying a new smart phone in September and it would be cool to be able to use it as a GPS system and power it from the Luxos. The price on the light is $238 which is way too much. Perhaps the price will come down soon? I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment