Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Passing of Lee Mitchell

I just found out that an old friend, Lee Mitchell, passed away today. He had been battling throat cancer for some time. He was a good friend to a lot of cyclists, a father, a teacher, and a husband.


I remember one of the first times I met him. My daughter and I were on a double century and he saw us at one of the rest stops. He chastized us for aligning our tail lights up to the heavens instead of horizontally at drivers approaching from behind. It was good advice and I took it to heart. I've passed it on to many other cyclists.

When I heard he had cancer I sent him an email reminding him of this meeting. I'm sure I'm just one of thousands of cyclists he has helped, both with advice and support, over the years. He and his red minivan were a constant presence at hundreds of cycling events from century rides up the the RAAM. He was beloved in our small, close-knit community.

On my next night ride I will point a tail light up to the heavens - perhaps you will see it. But I will also have another tail light pointing backwards just the way you told me to.

Lee Mitchell, your body may be dead but your memory will live in our hearts while they still beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment