Saturday, September 14, 2013

(Un)Lucky Greek

I decided to ride my 100km Lucky Greek brevet last night after work. It was Friday the 13th and I had left my helmet and gloves at home. Not an auspicious start.

I found a pair of silk under gloves in my truck. The kind skiers use - but they work really well on those chilly days or when it's raining. I wore them instead of my usual Pearl Izumis and I had no hand problems at all - who would have guessed it. I couldn't find a replacement for my helmet but the route has almost no traffic so I crossed my fingers and rode.

It turned out to be a slow but uneventful ride. Lots of riders out on the SART - some lit up and wearing Lycra and some wearing work clothes and riding in the pitch black with no lights. There was also a fair amount of gay trolling going on - pairs of young men standing way too close to each other. Lot's of people exhibiting dangerous behavior. But who am I to criticize - I'm not wearing a helmet. I feel naked - Ick.

I've often thought that cycling is like camping (the real kind - no vehicles). Everything is essential because we don't want to carry non-essential stuff.  You can't remove anything from a bicycle and still ride it. Even the saddlebag, pump, and water bottles are needed to guarantee success.

I met a chap riding a bike that proved me dead wrong.


Look Ma - no hands!

This 'bike' has one wheel, pedals, and a seat. No handlebars, no gears, no brakes - no helmet! Technically he's not riding a bike because a bicycle has two wheels by definition. This has to be rough on the back and butt. Hills must be difficult too.

On the way back I was on a tight, fast turn when I came face to face with a big dog trotting down the wrong side of the bike trail. I managed to twitch my bike around it but unicycle guy would have probably crashed. No helmet. I'm an idiot - but I got lucky this time. Let's hope I never forget my helmet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment