Friday, March 25, 2016

600k staff ride

I rode the Triple Loop 600km brevet staff ride on Wednesday/Thursday last and we have got very lucky with closures. I also checked weather.com and it looks like you might be in for some excellent conditions on the 2nd. Let's hope they don't change their minds again.

I had to ride mid-week because of work so I delayed my start time to 8:30am to be on the Upper SART after the brush clearance crew had finished work. You won't have the same issues on the weekend.

Loop 1.

Even though I was careful to schedule the event two weeks before the Long Beach Grand Prix, I noticed that there is an all-electric race there on the 2nd. I don't know if the bike path around the marina will be affected by that. If anyone knows, please contact me. This is around mile 70.

Loop 2.

The west end of the SART alongside La Palma is closed for pipe installation. They have protected the bike lane on La Palma with K-rail which is cool. However, when returning they divert west bound cyclists to the other side of the street which is stupid. I was riding very late at night and simply rode against their direction arrows. Your call. This is mile 112 outbound and 238 inbound.

Green River Road construction is almost finished. They have marked out bike lanes all the way which is wonderful. They are also installing traffic lights at the Palisades intersection which will make that left turn much safer once they are up and running. Hopefully by the day of the ride you will have silky smooth bike lanes both ways. This is mile 119 outbound and 231 inbound.

Serfas Club Road under the 91 freeway is still a mess. Use tail lights and be careful. This is mile 121 outbound and 229 inbound.

The upper SART is undergoing a major brush removal project around mile 138. It is open on the weekends. You may see signs stating the trail is closed. Just ride around them.

Pomona Road still has heavy construction. It looks like it is closed to east bound traffic but you should be OK. If you cannot get through for any reason simply stay on Railroad Street which will bring you around to Serfas Club Drive adding about 1/2 mile.

It will be very cold riding back from Beaumont to Orange, especially for the slower riders. I begged some latex gloves from the Chevron station at control #7. They give them to people who need to pump diesel. If you get some, please remember to tip the attendant. My fingers were still cold but not painfully so. The lowest temperature I recorded was 43.1F. When you are descending at 30mph this like 20F (I Googled it).

Loop 3.

I took a peek at the shoulder of the I5 at Las Pulgas. They are serious about not riding on it. If you cannot get through Camp Pendleton I have an alternative which will get you credit without risking your life or getting an expensive ticket. I will be handing out the details with your brevet cards. Riding the shoulder is not an option this year. This is at mile 300.

I had no problems at Camp Pendleton so I ate at Angelos in Oceanside because I like to. I was mini-cramping in my legs and hands so I had the Greek salad. It has olives, pickles, feta cheese and greek salad dressing. Lots of salt there. Seemed to help a lot.

There are signs up stating that San Juan Creek bike trail is closed. It was possible to ride the trail on Thursday. If you cannot get through there is a parallel road to the right that will work just fine. This is at mile 340.

I think that's everything. If I remember something else I will add it.

I am thinking of reworking the route for next year by starting further inland at a nicer motel and skipping Camp Pendleton completely. Las Pulgas road will become an info control and I may make the third loop an out and back along the coast. If anyone has any suggestions they will be listened to carefully.


No comments:

Post a Comment