Friday, March 11, 2016

Hybrid Bicycle

I drive a Toyota Prius - like most hybrid cars it uses batteries and motors to store surplus energy from downhills and braking and makes it available when under load. It very effectively increases the fuel-efficiency of the gasoline engine. Clever, but no longer revolutionary.

I was wondering if the same thing could be done on a bicycle. Well it turns out that at least two people have had the same thought so we have the Copenhagen Wheel and the FlyKly smart wheel. They both work in a similar way.

Copenhagen Wheel
They contain a motor/dynamo, batteries, and bluetooth communicators. When you brake (by pedaling backwards) the motor becomes a dynamo and recharges the batteries. When you pedal forwards the batteries power the motor providing some level of assist (no specifications on how much).

So if you, the rider, put the energy into the batteries do these wheels break the rules about rider-powered vehicles when it comes to riding brevets?

Article 2.
... Any form of human-powered vehicle is acceptable. The only stipulation is that the vehicle must be powered solely by the rider.

Note that the article does not specify if the power comes directly or indirectly from the rider.

Personally I would not use one of these wheels. On a flat ride there would be no opportunity to charge the wheel and on a hilly ride the extra weight would probably not be worth the power assist. Also, I think it would break Article 2 because it would be possible to start the ride with a fully charged wheel.

If someone showed up at one of my rides with one of these wheels I would DQ them on the spot.

2 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. hybrid bikes

    ReplyDelete