Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Saddle Sores

I rode my 600k brevet last week and had a problem I've never had before - saddle sores. I've had a sore butt but never an actual saddle sore. I had no idea they are so painful. I use Lantisceptic as lubricant which normally does an excellent job. I had always thought it had anti-bacterial properties but it turns out it doesn't. I would have been well advised to use some neosporin on the sore. I had some, but didn't think I needed it. My nurse daughter corrected me there. If it ever happens again, I will know how to deal with it better. In the end (pun intended) all I did was to use more Lantisceptic and try to shift my weight off the sore spot.

It has been a week and it still isn't fully healed. Last Sunday's ride was quite painful. Fortunately my exercise bike's seat doesn't put any pressure on it.

I was trying to figure out what was different on this ride and I noticed the sore is actually where I touch the saddle while I'm down on the aerobars. Because I had such a fast 300k by using the aerobars a lot I was making a conscious effort to do the same on the 600k. I had also tried on the 400k but I didn't end up spending much time on the aerobars on that ride because the roads were so rough. I think spending so much time on the aerobars on a 600k might have caused the problem.

Either I need to toughen up that part of my anatomy that rests on the saddle while I'm on the aerobars or I need to simply limit my time on them during long rides. I'm hoping I can achieve the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment