Sunday, June 4, 2017

Don't wait to eat

Sherry and I hiked the Exploration Trail in Running Springs today. It's a challenging hike with 1600' of climbing in four miles of rocky single track followed by an easy descent on a paved road. About three miles into the climbing I noticed Sherry was lagging and starting to think negative thoughts so obviously she was bonking.

We had food with us because we've done this kind of thing before so I told her to eat something. "I'll eat something when we get to the road," she said. Now, I've done the same thing on rides. I'm bonking and I say to myself "I'll eat something when I get to the next turn.".

Why do we do that? How is it better to make an extra stop at an upcoming landmark rather than making an extra stop right now? You have to eat as soon as you realize you are bonking (preferably before, but that's another story). Sure, if you're half a mile from a control you can tough it out because you were going to stop anyway.

But if you don't have a planned stop within the next mile, you have to stop and take care of the problem RIGHT NOW! I don't know why we fight it, but we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment