Thursday, July 11, 2013

Five Mile Run

Went for a five mile run up at Big Bear last night as preparation for the half marathon I've committed to next year. When I say "up" I mean it, Big Bear is at 7000' of elevation. When I say "run" I really mean 5 minutes running, 5 minutes walking. I hope to increase the running soon.

Why did I start running? Because I don't expect to improve in cycling without resorting to illegal drugs.

I think there are two kinds of people. There are those that chose a discipline, be it running, quantum physics, volunteering, etc, and do everything they can to be the best they can possibly be in that chosen discipline.

Then there are those that dabble in a wide range of disciplines, gaining some advancement but not excelling in anything.

And then, of course, there are those that do neither and just live with their parents, flame random facebook pages for "fun", and get sent to jail for it. OK - there's more than two kinds of people :-)

Ignoring the last group, I suspect those that excel in one area tend to measure their progress in relation to other people. Good is a meaningless term for them - only Better Than and The Best are worth anything. A perfect example would be Lance Armstrong. I suspect those that dabble in multiple areas measure their progress in absolute terms without feeling the need to compete with others. They tend to be more likable, possibly because I identify with them.

So now I'm an amateur psychologist too which puts me in the second group. Just so long as I stay away from the third group.

No comments:

Post a Comment