Monday, July 15, 2013

Kayaking and The Crema

Another hot day in the 90s even though we were near the beach most of the day. Amber and I met at the Anaheim Amtrak and rode to The Crema at Seal Beach. We had planned on stopping and kayaking at Sunset Beach but they were crazy busy so we rode on the The Crema and ate. Everything seemed busier than usual - the roads, the trails, everything. It was Bastille day so I assume the Americans were showing their usual support for their French 'brothers of the revolution!'

We decided to make a detour down to the Newport Aquatic Center to do some kayaking there instead. This turned out to be a good move. We pottered around the wetlands there for an hour then got back a bit early. There was a chap on a paddleboard who had got himself stuck on a bouy cable and had fallen off while trying to get himself unstuck. He couldn't get back on the paddleboard because the front end just shot up in to the air when he put his weight on the backend. I paddle my kayak over so I could push down on the front to help him. I came close to capsizing as he clambered aboard but we managed to get him back on. Then I went and found his paddle. I wish Amber had managed to get a photo - we both looked quite alarmed at the situation I'm sure.

Sixty miles with kayaking and assorted adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment