Thursday, December 26, 2013

Lucky Greek and Santa Ana

I rode the Lucky Greek 100k Permanent with Amber and Sherry today. Bagels and cream cheese at Panera at the start, then down the Santa Ana River Trail. We picked up a tailwind a few miles into the ride and got to the Lucky Greek in about two hours. Amber bought me a GoPro Hero 3 camera which I tested out. It works great but the battery only lasts about three hours which is a shame.

I started hearing a clicking noise and initially assumed it was my computer's magnet hitting the sensor. I could hear it when I coasted but not when I got off the bike and span the wheels. Obviously I had a broken or lose spoke. The rear wheel looked slightly out of true so when we got to the end of the bike path I checked for lose spokes. Sure enough, I found one. Fortunately it wasn't broken so I tightened it up with my spoke wrench (surely you carry one too) and continued noise free.

I had the gyro and fries at the Lucky Greek - amazing. When we turned around we realized that a Santa Ana wind had kicked in. We soon had sustained 30mph head and side winds. It took over three hours to get to the end of the ride. That hot wind is really dehydrating. We grabbed a bagel pack at Panera and headed home. That wind made for a tough ride. Five hours and fifty minutes to cover 62 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment