Sunday, June 17, 2018

Lejog day 14.- 6/16/2018

Today was the last day and we rode from Crask to John O'Groats.

Although Crask is the ideal distance from John O'Groats there's only room for a small number of guests there so the slowest riders were booked at Crask and the rest of the us spent the night at Lairg in the Highland Hotel. We were driven back to Crask this morning and reunited with our riding buddies.

The first 30 miles North to the coast at Bettyhill were absolutely gorgeous and slightly downhill.

First sign to John O'Groats



After Bettyhill the road got very lumpy but fortunately it flattened out again after about twenty miles. Lunch was in the Halladale Inn near Portskerra. Last lunch - I'm starting to feel sad.


At the afternoon brew stop I felt a few drops of rain, looked up, and foolishly said to the sky "Don't you dare". Within seconds it was raining and Julie had to get the canopy out to protect the goodies and keep the rain out of our tea. Last brew stop - I'm going to miss this.

Putting up the canopy, I'm too busy taking photographs and apologizing to help

The wet roads are all my fault
About ten miles from John O'Groats we all regrouped at the Northern Sands hotel.

Northern Sands hotel


We all agreed we should let Mike and Liz finish the ride first. We rode at a relaxed pace for the last ten miles. I dropped to the back then rode forward through the pack saying hi to everyone.



We finally got to the famous signpost and then it was all over.

Mike and Liz at the John O'Groats signpost.

We rode 83.3 miles and climbed 4380'.

I'm getting all nostalgic writing about this day. It was a wonderful holiday and I rode a great route, with lovely riders, and with the best touring company. Before we started, Julie told me she had ridden this route twice. I asked her why. Now I understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment