Friday, June 8, 2018

Lejog day 6 - 6/8/2018

Today was one of the longest days, but without too much climbing. We rode from Clun to Northwich.

We left our B&B after a full breakfast and headed out on the rough Shropshire roads.

B&B

The route through Shrewsbury was mainly alongside the Severn river - very pretty but roads were rough and my shoulder was very painful.

Shrewsbury


Lunch was at the Burlton Inn in Burlton. I met David Ivory there, we hadn't seen each other in 40 years. He had a full beard and looked like a cross between a skinny father Christmas and a happy Ayatollah. He had become an evangelistic vegan which seemed to help his climbing skills but I think I enjoyed lunch as an omnivore more than he did as a vegan.

Lunch
David (right)
We rode the second half of the ride together and talked a lot, catching up. He flew up the hills like they weren't there. I slogged up them like I weighed an extra 100 lbs (which I probably did).

The riding in the afternoon also had rough roads, but also some interesting breaks.






David had parked his van at near the end of the ride, but we had a road closure within a mile of the overnight that forced us to take a long detour. Eventually we ended up at the Hartford Hall Hotel in Northwich.

We rode 86.6 miles with 4045' of climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment