Monday, June 20, 2022

Lejog day 2 Fowey to Mortonhampstead

Today we rode from Fowey to Mortonhampstead. It's 64 miles with 6,400 feet of climbing making it the most difficult day in terms of total effort. It's pretty lumpy between Fowey and Plymouth with sustained grades over 12% and, just like last time, I had cramping problems. The Endurolytes I brought didn't seem to help so Michele gave me some Salt Sticks which helped enormously. I later threw my Endurolytes away and ordered Salt Sticks. We had a strong cross wind but the high hedges and walls gave good protection.

High walls protected us from cross winds


We seemed to have a new route through Plymouth, at least the traffic seemed less daunting and no toothless woman driving a Skoda verbally assaulted us. So that was good. We were soon on NCN 27 climbing up to Dartmoor. It's a wonderful ride with some light off-roading and totally traffic free.



Once we got up to Dartmoor the route flattened out a bit and we had a wide view all around. Here's the view from the second brew stop.

Dartmoor and brew van



I got the drone out to take some video but as I opened the arm it snapped where I had fixed it before so I couldn't launch it. I had brought super glue so I fixed it that evening. Would have been great video though.

Riding across Dartmoor is a bit scary because of all the sheep, ponies, and cattle grazing by the side of the road. Sometimes you're bombing down a hill and all it would take is for a cow to take three steps to be right in front of you. Some of them looked quite menacing, but we made it through without any problems.

Michele and I were one of the first to get to Mortonhampstead where we stayed at the White Hart which was a ridiculously expensive, but fairly nice pub. No rain today.

No comments:

Post a Comment