Saturday, June 25, 2022

Lejog day 7 Runcorn to Lancaster

Today our route was from Runcorn to Lancaster which is 73 miles with 4,000 feet of climbing. However my knee was really hurting so I rode from Runcorn to lunch at the Rock Inn. We had our first heavy rain of the trip and I got soaked to the skin. Traffic was fairly heavy with a few nice sections.



Last time the Rock Inn offered a great lunch but they seem to have new management and the only offering was curry or curry. I can't eat curry while riding because I'll suddenly find myself racing for the nearest toilet. 

I've made that mistake once before and I don't want to repeat it. There's still a woman somewhere who remembers walking towards a porta-potty in Camp Pendleton and being rudely out-sprinted by a cyclist (me). In my defense, it felt like I was having a medical emergency.

In the end I settled for a plate of rice and bread. They seriously had nothing else available.

It turns out I could have had the curry because my leg was so sore when I tried to start riding that I jumped into the van and got driven to the Lancaster House hotel in Lancaster. This gave a chance to ride into Lancaster and buy a new rain jacket.

The Lancaster House Hotel was fantastic, especially after the Holiday Inn the previous night. I think it was possibly the best overnight of the trip. It's right next to a laundry facility at Lancaster University so Michele and I finally managed to get all our gear clean. It might have been here that one of Michele's knickers got mixed with my stuff which caused a little embarrassment when my wife found them in my laundry when I got home.

We had a lovely meal at the hotel. I have no recollection of what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment