Sunday, June 26, 2022

Lejog day 8 Lancaster to Penrith

Today we were supposed to ride from Lancaster to Penrith. That didn't happen for me. My leg was not getting any better and the original A&E in Street had told me to get my wound evaluated so this was the day to do that. I got dropped off at the A&E in Lancaster, but they told me to go to Morecambe about six miles away. Fortunately there is a train so that wasn't a problem.

In Morecambe they took the bandages off and decided the wound was infected and there was necrosis. Great. They cleaned it up, redressed it, and wrote a prescription for anti-biotics and Naproxen. They told me to I couldn't ride for two more days. I think I need to take them seriously.

I took the train back to Lancaster, then another to Penrith. It was raining heavily when I got there, but right next to the train station there is a Sainsburys. I got the prescription filled and bought a five pound umbrella. I can't believe how easy it is to travel around by train. I'm used to Amtrak running a train every two hours if you're lucky. Fortunately this wasn't one of the days the rail workers were striking.

Penrith is very pretty

From the Sainsburys it was about a 3/4 mile walk to the George Hotel. There's not a lot of food options open late in Penrith but we did find a nice tapas restaurant called La Casita. It was good, but expensive.

I started my course of anti-biotics and naproxen. I won't be able to ride for a couple more days which was lucky for Michele. She had previously dropped her Wahoo Roam and damaged the seal of the display. In the heavy rain today, water got in and damaged her Roam so that maps wouldn't show (probably the memory card was damaged). We found an Evans bike store in Edinburgh that is close to the route and had a new Roam in stock. They were nice enough to put it behind the counter until we got there in two days. Michele borrowed my Wahoo Bolt until then.

I was disappointed to be missing three days of riding, but I feel it's the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment