Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Lejog day 4 Street to Monmouth

Today we rode from Street to Monmouth, but my knee was very painful so I only rode from the top of the initial big hill to the second brew stop at Tintern Abbey. 

Chasing the tandem

I've seen wider bike paths

In retrospect I should not have ridden because the pain was telling me I was doing more damage. This part of the ride contains some very rough roads as I recall from last time I did this. That didn't help much!

We had a good lunch today at the Fox Inn - best lunch so far and an indication of the lunches to come.


Crossing the Severn bridge

As we crossed the Severn bridge we noticed there was a car on fire on the south bridge. Someone was having a bad day.

Ouch

By the time I got to Tintern Abbey my knee was starting to swell and get more painful so I took some Ibuprofen and climbed into the van. Tintern Abbey was destroyed by Henry VIII - I think he sat on it. I was planning to get my repaired drone out here, but the whole area is a no-fly zone. I assume they don't want people flying their drones into the ruins and ruining them more.

Tintern Abbey

That was my ride for the day. I rode 48 of the official 69 miles and climbed 3000 of the 4800 feet. My knee hurt like hell. We stayed at the King's Head in Monmouth. Last time, this hotel had water leaking into the fire alarm system which forced us all to relocate to a different hotel at 11pm. That was one of the times Peak-Tours excelled. Fortunately there were no such issues this time. It's a nice hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment